This was the grand courtyard house of timber merchant Goh Sin Koh (Hokkien) built along Sin Koh Street. Apart from the 4 grand Teochew courtyard mansions in, of which only house of Tan Yeok Nee stands, this was the only Hokkien courtyard house that remained till 1980s before it was demolished. It survived the great kg Bugis fire but did not survive urban redevelopment.
Goh Sin Koh’s house was built in 1896 and was a grand mansion for the rich Hokkien merchant who later turned it into an ancestral temple for the Goh’s from his village. Interestingly, the timber workers in the timber mills eventually became primarily Hainanese. The rear of the double
courtyard house was a two storey building with a balcony. There were 3 prominent temples around Kallang area in the past – Kwong Fook Temple for the Cantonese, She Gong Miao (Five Tiger Shrine) and an Indian temple which still stands today. In terms of architecture, it is even more intricate than Dou Mu Gong in Upper Serangoon. Look at the beautiful exposed red bricks, this is authentic traditional Hokkien architecture.